Please make sure you read these terms and conditions carefully.
IMPORTANT: KEEP THESE TERMS IN A SAFE PLACE, TOGETHER WITH YOUR HPI CHECK RESULTS AND THE DOCUMENTS REFERRED TO IN CLAUSE 10. THE HPI CHECK IS INTENDED TO HELP YOU MAKE AN INFORMED BUYING DECISION. PLEASE ENSURE THAT YOU READ AND UNDERSTAND THESE TERMS AND CONTACT US IF YOU HAVE ANY QUERIES BECAUSE YOU WILL BE BOUND BY THE TERMS ONCE A CONTRACT COMES INTO EXISTENCE BETWEEN US IN ACCORDANCE WITH CLAUSE 1.2. WE RELY ON YOU TO PROVIDE FULL AND ACCURATE DATA, AND TO OBTAIN AND CHECK ALL RELEVANT VEHICLE DOCUMENTATION. TO BENEFIT FROM THE HPI GUARANTEE, YOU MUST HAVE PROVIDED US WITH ALL INFORMATION REQUESTED BEFORE COMPLETING YOUR PURCHASE.
- In these terms and conditions (the “Terms”) the following expressions shall have the following meanings:-
“Contract” means the contract between you and us for the supply of the Information made subject to these Terms;
“HPI Check” means a vehicle information enquiry submitted by you via the Website or by telephone to the HPI call centre as more particularly described on the Website or by our call centre staff in response to your call;
“Information” means the information supplied by us relating to a motor vehicle recorded on our electronic database in response to your HPI Check;
“we”/ “us”/ “ours” means or refers to HPI Limited, a company registered in England with number 4068979 whose registered office is at Bond Court, Leeds LS1 5EZ, who provides the Information to you;
“Website” means the website; and
“you”/ “your” means or refers to you, the customer, who submits the HPI Check and receives the Information (in each case subject to these Terms).
- When you submit an HPI Check to us, this constitutes an offer by you to enter into a Contract with us for the provision of Information subject to these Terms. A Contract will only come into existence between you and us when we provide you the Information in response to your request. The order is an offer by you to enter into a binding Contract with us, which we are free to accept or decline at our absolute discretion.
- We consider these Terms to set out the whole agreement between you and us for the supply of the HPI Check. These Terms only apply to our contracts with consumers. We will despatch either by email or by post to your address (as notified to us by you with your HPI Check), a Certificate of Confirmation containing a written copy of the Information and these Terms for your records.
- When submitting your HPI Check at our Website, it is your responsibility to complete the request screens at our Website fully and correctly to ensure a prompt response by us. When submitting your HPI Check over the telephone to our call centre, you must provide our operator with accurate and complete information to ensure we are able to deal with your HPI Check promptly. It is also your responsibility when using HPI’s services to notify us if we supply any Information which you know or suspect is incorrect or incomplete.
You will pay us our charges for the HPI Check at our current levels which may change from time to time, by credit card or any other payment method we accept (details of which are available at the Website or from our call centre operator), before we send you the Information.
Your right to Cancel
If with your agreement we provide the Information before the cancellation period ends under The Consumer Protection Distance Selling Regulations 2000, then your right to cancel will end as soon as we provide the Information.
Use of your Personal Data
We obtain and hold vehicle and associated data from many sources, including finance companies, insurers, vehicle owners and the police. This data is used to protect both those making searches and the owners of vehicles on HPI’s registers. For that reason, you agree and consent to us disclosing relevant information about you (including your name, address and details of your usage of HPI’s services) to any person to whom we consider that it would be expedient to do so, for the sole purposes of preventing, detecting or discouraging crime, for the apprehension or prosecution of offenders, or for the recovery of stolen vehicles or other property. Without limiting the foregoing, you expressly agree and consent to us disclosing any such information about you to:-
- a person claiming to be the owner of a vehicle against which you have submitted a HPI Check; or
- the police or other law enforcement authorities.
Your use of the Information
The Information we provide to you is for your own personal use. Accordingly you must not sell, supply or otherwise disclose the Information to any third party, but you may supply free of charge a printed copy of the Information to any potential purchaser or the seller of a vehicle to which the Information relates (in the course of negotiating the purchase or sale of the vehicle) provided that the Information is in the form supplied by us (without amendment to any of the contents).
The HPI Guarantee & Exclusion/Limitation of Liability
- The Information we supply includes data supplied to us from a number of third party sources which we do not warrant as accurate. The HPI Check therefore includes a guarantee (the “HPI Guarantee”) which is designed to cover key types of financial loss (“Loss”, as described below at Condition 8) that you may suffer should your HPI Check provide any untrue, inaccurate or incomplete Information. The HPI Guarantee is subject to certain Terms and exclusions which may affect your ability to make a claim under it.
- We do not warrant that the Information is true, correct or complete and subject to 6.3 below we shall not (other than upon the terms of the HPI Guarantee) be liable in any circumstances for any loss or damage arising from any inaccuracies, faults or omissions in the Information, unless caused by our negligence or wilful default.
- We do not limit or exclude our liability for:
- death or personal injury caused by our negligence; or
- fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation; or
- any breach of the obligations implied by section 12 of the Sale of Goods Act 1979 or section 2 of the Supply of Services and Services Act 1982; or
- losses for which it is prohibited by section 7 of the Consumer Protection Act 1987 to limit liability; or
- any other matter for which it would be illegal or unlawful for us to exclude or attempt to exclude our liability.
- We shall not be liable for the accuracy of, or any loss or damage arising from, any Information we supply to you as a result of any incomplete or inaccurate data or information you supply to us or as a result of any other fault attributable to you.
- Except as expressly provided in the Contract, all other conditions, terms and warranties, express or implied by statute or otherwise are excluded to the fullest extent permitted by law.
- Each provision of this Condition 6 is to be construed as a separate limitation applying and surviving even if for any reason one or the other of the said provisions is held inapplicable or unreasonable in any circumstances, and shall remain in force notwithstanding the performance of the Contract.
Duration of HPI Guarantee
The HPI Guarantee is effective for a period of two years from the date of your HPI Check (the “Guarantee Period”). No claims submitted outside this period will be considered.
What your HPI Guarantee does and does not cover
- The Loss which the HPI Guarantee covers means either:
- a reduction in the market value of the vehicle where the vehicle has been established to our satisfaction as having been written off or declared an Insurance Total Loss (as defined in our Glossary of Terms on our website) which was not recorded on the Condition Alert Register (as defined in our Glossary of terms on our website) at the time of your HPI Check calculated as follows :- the difference between the market Value or value paid, (whatever the lower) and the Actual Value of the Vehicle, (as determined through sale at auction) or 50% of the market value of the Vehicle (whatever the higher); or
- in the event you fail to acquire good title to the vehicle, as a result of inaccurate or incomplete information supplied in the HPI Check, either (at our sole option) our choice of:- the lower of the Vehicle’s purchase price or market value at the time of sale, or a sum necessarily paid or payable to acquire good title to the vehicle;
- Safety Recall Data is not covered by the HPI Guarantee
The HPI Guarantee excludes any loss you suffer which is not a reasonably foreseeable consequence of us providing the inaccurate or incomplete information to you. A loss is foreseeable if it could be anticipated by you and us at the time the HPI Check is made. The HPI Guarantee also excludes any actual or anticipated profit which you would have made, and any item of improvement, including any addition or alteration, made to the vehicle by you.
For the purpose of quantifying your Loss, the market value of the vehicle will be calculated by reference either to the price you paid for it or its retail value as evidenced by Glass’s Guide (adjusted for mileage and condition at the time of purchase), whichever is the lower.
We reserve the right to inspect any vehicle which becomes the subject of a claim under the HPI Guarantee, at our own cost. If we do provide an independent inspection, its conclusions will be final, unless they contain an obvious error.
Limit of Indemnity
Subject to the exclusions of liability set out in sections 11 and 12 below, the maximum limit of indemnity under the HPI Guarantee in respect of a failure to acquire good title is £30,000 where you have supplied us with the Vehicle Identification Number (“VIN”), Vehicle Registration Mark (“VRM”) and the serial number and issue date from the Vehicle Registration Document (“V5C (log book)”) at the time of your HPI Check, prior to purchase of the vehicle.
Where your claim relates to a reduction in the market value of the vehicle, the HPI Guarantee will not exceed 50% of the market value of the vehicle, or £15,000, whichever is the lower.
Conditions of HPI Multicheck
- You may purchase a package of vehicle checks (“multicheck”) containing two or more checks.
- One of these checks will be used at the time of purchase to check the vehicle you have specified. The spare checks will be made available as vouchers, which you may use at a time of your choosing.
- The multicheck vouchers expire after 90 days from the date of purchase. Expired multicheck vouchers cannot be used for vehicle checks.
- Unused or expired vouchers cannot be refunded.
Conditions of HPI Guarantee
- To qualify for the HPI Guarantee, you must do the following before buying your vehicle:
- you must ensure that the vehicle is accompanied by a full and current V5C (log book) from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency, and provide us with the serial number and issue date from it;
- you must check that all the vehicle information provided by us as part of the HPI Check matches the vehicle itself and the corresponding V5C (log book), and you must notify us immediately of any discrepancies so that we can investigate. This information includes, but is not limited to, the vehicle’s make, model and derivative, engine size, colour, transmission, fuel type and door plan;
- you must check that the date of first registration in the UK of the vehicle we provide as part of the HPI Check matches the date on the corresponding V5C vehicle registration certificate (log book);
- you must provide the VIN to us prior to purchasing the vehicle and check that all the VIN markings on the vehicle match each other and the corresponding V5C vehicle registration certificate (log book); and
- you must obtain a written statement or receipt signed by the seller of the vehicle, containing details of the vehicle’s VRM and mileage, the date of purchase, the amount paid and the seller’s name and address.
- If the vehicle is bought privately then you must purchase it from the keeper and at the address stated on the V5C vehicle registration certificate (log book). You must verify the identity of the seller against those on the V5C vehicle registration certificate (logbook).
- In the event you are made aware of a potential claim, you must make reasonable efforts to contact the seller of the vehicle (either by telephone, or if a dealer purchase, by visiting the premises) in order to resolve the issue and recover the loss, unless expressly requested not to do so by the Police. We reserve the right to withhold settlement of any claims until we are satisfied that all reasonable efforts have been made
Exclusions of HPI Guarantee
- Information we provide on a vehicle’s description, value, mileage and accompanying documentation (its V5C vehicle registration certificate (log book)) is not covered by the HPI Guarantee.
- The HPI Guarantee does not guarantee the condition of any vehicle.
- Unless we subsequently confirm that a discrepancy or fact is no longer applicable, the HPI Guarantee will not cover any Loss which:
- results from any discrepancy or fact revealed by your HPI Check (including discrepancies between the VRM and VIN of your vehicle);
- relates to a vehicle which is recorded on our Stolen Vehicles and/or Security Watch registers; or
- relates to a vehicle which your HPI Check indicates has a mileage discrepancy or has been the subject of an odometer change.
- The HPI Guarantee will also not apply if:
- you conduct the HPI Check after buying the vehicle;
- we have not received full payment for the HPI Check;
- your claim arises from an event that occurred after the HPI Check was carried out;
- the vehicle is registered outside mainland Britain at the time of conducting the HPI Check, for example, in Northern Ireland, Jersey, Guernsey or the Isle of Man;
- you buy the vehicle outside mainland Britain, for example if you source it yourself from mainland Europe, Northern Ireland, Jersey, Guernsey or the Isle of Man;
- you intentionally supply us with incorrect or incomplete information, or do not co-operate with us and our agents (and, in any case involving stolen vehicles, the police) in progressing your claim under the HPI Guarantee;
- you are unable to provide us with reasonable proof of payment for the vehicle;
- you are actually aware at the time of your HPI Check of relevant information relating to the vehicle (for example, that the vehicle is stolen, or is or has been an insurance write-off) and this subsequently forms the basis of your claim under the HPI Guarantee;
- we do not consider that the vehicle has been purchased in a reasonably prudent manner, including but not limited to whether you have followed any guidelines we may produce from time to time; or
- the vehicle has been damaged, but has not been established to our satisfaction as having been written off/declared an Insurance Loss.
- if the purchase price of the vehicle is 30% below the retail market value.
- if the vehicle is purchased without a valid MOT test certificate, where required.
- the vehicle purchased is registered with a VRM under a “Q” prefix or suffix.
- you are a motor trader by trade or the vehicle has been bought to be sold on for profit.
- any vehicle purchased through a salvage agent or salvage auction.
- The HPI Guarantee will not cover any losses arising due to a “cloned” vehicle to the extent that any part of the purchase price (including but not limited to any deposit, holding fee or other part-payment) for the vehicle is paid in cash other by any other payment mechanism other than via the banking system. We recommend that all vehicles are paid via the banking system – such as cheque or a bankers draft. For the purpose of this clause a “cloned” vehicle is one that has been stolen, and given a false identity, normally that of an identical vehicle.
- We reserve the right to refuse any claim if you sell the vehicle (without having obtained our prior written permission) after the time which you became aware of any interest that is recorded on our Condition Alert register, Outstanding Finance register, Security Watch register or Stolen Vehicles register.
- HPI’s data sources are UK-based. Therefore, if the vehicle has been previously registered in another country, the HPI Check will only reveal information relating to the period after it was first registered in mainland Britain. Accordingly you cannot make a claim under the HPI Guarantee for any Loss resulting from the vehicle having been previously registered outside mainland Britain or any event which occurred prior to first registration in mainland Britain (whether or not the HPI Check displays a “previously used abroad before 1st registration with the DVLA” marker in relation to the vehicle).
- Any loss arising as a result of a fraudulent transaction which prevents legal title being passed to you.
- If you wish to make a claim under the HPI Guarantee, you must inform us as soon as possible after you become aware of the events giving rise or potentially giving rise to the claim (and in any event within the Guarantee Period).
- We will issue a claim form for you to complete and return, together with evidence of the HPI Check, your proof of purchase for the Vehicle and other relevant documentation. Your claim will be dealt with by our administrators, who will contact you promptly.
- You may not transfer, assign or in any way make over to any third party the benefit of the Contract or any part of it (including without limitation the HPI Guarantee).
- Neither you nor we shall be liable to the other for any delay in or failure to perform any of our respective obligations under the Contract due to any cause beyond your or our reasonable control.
- Nothing contained in these Terms will affect any of your statutory rights relating to the services which we supply to you if you are a consumer.
- If any provision of the Contract is held by any competent authority to be invalid or unenforceable in whole or in part, the validity of the other provisions of the Contract and the remainder of the provision in question shall not be affected.
- Relevant United Kingdom law will apply to the Contract and the relevant courts of the United Kingdom will have exclusive jurisdiction in relation to the Contract.
- EU Online Dispute Resolution Service (ODR)/ Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR): By law, we are required to provide a link from our website to the EU Online Dispute Resolution Platform. We are not obliged to use ADR should you have a complaint with us. If you do have a complaint which we cannot resolve using our internal complaints handling procedures we will contact you by letter or email about whether we are prepared to submit to ADR. Our email address for the purposes of ODR/ADR is firstname.lastname@example.org.
These Terms and Conditions apply to Your access to and use of the Vehicle Safety Recall Look-Up Service at hpicheck.com ("Website").
Please read these Terms and Conditions carefully. You will need to tick the box to accept these terms and conditions on each occasion before You can perform any Look-Up.
If You do not accept these Terms and Conditions, You should not use the Website. If You have a query about these Terms and Conditions, please contact Us at email@example.com You can print a copy of these Terms and Conditions if You want to keep a record of them.
- US, YOU AND LOOK-UPS
"We" (or "Us" or "Our") refers to HPI Ltd, Bond Court, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS1 5EZ, company number 4068979.
"You" (or "Your") means you, the user of the Website and the person who has read and accepted these Terms and Conditions.- "Look-Up(s)" mean the search(es) that You make on the Website using the search terms set out in the boxes to find information about whether there is a recall on any products in a vehicle.
“Look-Up Results” means the information provided to You about product recalls relevant to a vehicle for which you have performed a Look-Up.
- LOOK-UP RESULTS
This Website is intended to provide You with a useful tool and convenient way to obtain information about product recalls relevant to a vehicle.
We are reliant on information supplied to us by vehicle manufacturers. We do Our best to ensure it is accurate, complete and up-to-date but cannot guarantee that this will be the case. The Look-Up Results should be used as guidance and for information but You should not rely on them and should not take any action or decision based on them.
You should check with the vehicle's manufacturer or main dealer before taking any action or making any decision on the basis of the Look-Up Result.
- YOUR USE OF THE WEBSITE
You may not use the Website for any purpose other than for performing Look-Ups for Your own personal use.
Look-Up Results for certain vehicles may not be supported by the Website. If this is the case, a message indicating this will be provided on the Website when You perform a Look-Up.
You should only perform a Look-Up for a vehicle if You are the owner of the vehicle, or You have the owner's or authorised seller’s consent to do so. We are not responsible for ensuring that Look-Ups are carried out by the owner of a vehicle, or on their behalf.
You may not store, collect, cache, create or otherwise try to replicate this Website, the Look-Ups and Look-Up Results, nor access the Website or perform Look-Ups using any automated tool.
Unless you have Our permission in advance, You may not create links to this Website from other web-pages, embed text in the Website or use Our logo as a 'hot' link to the Website.
- OUR LIABILITY TO YOU
These Terms and Conditions do not exclude or limit Our liability (if any) for:
- (a) death or personal injury caused by Our negligence;
- (b) fraud;
- (c) fraudulent misrepresentation; or
- (d) any matter which it would be illegal for Us to exclude or attempt to exclude Our liability.
We are only liable to You for losses which You suffer as a direct result of Our breach of these Terms and Conditions and which are reasonably foreseeable. We are not liable for any other losses.
You may have other rights granted by law and these Terms and Conditions do not affect these.
Whilst We will make every effort to ensure that the Website is available for Your use, secure and operational, We cannot guarantee that this will always be the case. The Website is provided on an 'as is' basis and for information only. We reserve the right to change, modify, disable, remove or otherwise deal with the Website at any time.
- PERSONAL DATA ABOUT YOU
We do not collect any personal data about You when you use the Website or perform Look-Ups.
In making Look-Ups, You represent and agree that You are using the Look-Up and Look-Up Results solely for Your personal use, and not for resale or commercial distribution.
These Terms and Conditions are governed by English law.
Any court proceedings must be taken at a court within England and Wales.
You may not transfer any of Your rights under these Terms and Conditions to any other person.
Only You and Us have any rights under these Terms and Conditions. No other person shall have any rights under the Contract.
You may not use Our trademarks or intellectual property without Our prior written consent.